A scary incident occurred yesterday at a Donald Trump event in Dayton, Ohio. A man rushed the stage, coming from behind Trump. His intent was unclear, but there was every reason to assume he intended to injure or kill Trump. He was quickly stopped and led away by Secret Service agents:
The man was identified as Thomas (“Tommy”) DiMassimo. He is a leftist, of course. Early on, the Trump camp suggested that he could be an ISIS sympathizer, based on a video of DiMassimo and others stepping on and otherwise demeaning the American flag, accompanied by images of the ISIS flag and by Arabic chanting. While the video was real, and was posted by DiMassimo on YouTube, the added Arabic/ISIS elements were a hoax.
Still, it is worth pausing–briefly–to consider who DiMassimo is, as he enjoys his moment in the spotlight. Based on what I have seen, Tommy DiMassimo is arguably the paradigmatic liberal of our time. Consider:
* He is a fourth year acting major at Wright State University. So, with all due respect to Wright State, neither an academic whiz nor a physicist in training. His age is variously reported as 22 and 32. Thirty-two is probably too good to be true–that would make him a fourteenth-year acting major.
* Like most radicals, DiMassimo comes from liberal stock. He is from Georgia, where his father is a school teacher and his mother, Faye DiMassimo, apparently drinks deeply from the trough:
November 3, 2015:
Mayor Kasim Reed announced today that Faye DiMassimo will serve as the new General Manager for the $250 million Renew Atlanta infrastructure bond program. In this new role, DiMassimo will oversee the design, construction and completion of more than two hundred transportation and municipal facility projects, including construction of the new Martin Luther King, Jr. Natatorium in the Historic Old Fourth Ward neighborhood. The Renew Atlanta infrastructure bond program was approved by more than eight in ten voters in a special election held on March 17, 2015.
DiMassimo has served as the Director of the Cobb County Department of Transportation for nearly six years, where she has overseen a $36 million operating budget with more than 160 staff. …
DiMassimo has extensive experience in the metropolitan Atlanta region and in the Montgomery, AL metropolitan area, in both the private and public sectors. DiMassimo holds Bachelor’s and Master’s Degrees in Public Administration and a Master’s in Community Planning, all from Auburn University.
Leftist rebels like Tommy DiMassimo aren’t anti-establishment, they are annoyed that you and I retain a few rights, and a few dollars, that their left-wing institutions haven’t yet usurped.
* Like so many know-nothing youths, DiMassimo is a Bernie Sanders supporter. The news media presumably will treat this fact as irrelevant. It would be quite different if a Trump supporter tried to assault Sanders!
* On the issues, beyond hating America, DiMassimo is a mainstream Democrat. Would any delegate to the Democratic National Convention find anything to disagree with in his Facebook manifesto?
Let’s get rid of unions. Let’s get rid of economic regulation. Lets allow every act of religious freedom to get passed. Let’s never hold police accountable because their jobs are hard. Let’s continue to spend trillions to [sic] the military industrial complex. Let’s never address our ecological crisis. Let’s just give them everything they want. I want them to see what the world they want truly looks like.
So do I, but I’m afraid we won’t see it any time soon.
* If you’re wondering, I have the worst gaydar in the world, and therefore have no idea. This sort of gender ambiguity is, once again, typical of today’s Democratic Party. It isn’t quite what Andrew Jackson had in mind.
* Re the above: DiMassimo got bailed out and promptly issued this tweet:
This is the sort of classy (and not exactly hyper-masculine) behavior that we associate with members of the Democratic Party. That’s the thing about Tommy DiMassimo: he isn’t just a random nutcase. He is, I think, a good example of the prototypical liberal Democrat of our time.